Monday, January 21, 2008

Making Checklists

Yes, when I first started Maximum Impact Karate, I had what Michael Gerber terms in his classic book, The E-myth, an “entrepreneurial seizure”. I believe that my teaching skills would carry the business to great heights.

I was wrong. I struggled along as “wing it” in everything from my sales presentations to my classes. Slowly and gradually, I took moments of extra time to start systemize every activity.

Now, I have write procedures for everything from phone calls to enrollments.

The final touches are creating Checklists for each job and developing a master schedule. I have the basis for the master schedule. The Master schedule is a sequence of tasks divided between first week, second week, third week, and fourth week activities.

This month, I worked on creating checklist for each of these activities. For example, the picture below is my new student checklist.

Using my master schedule has two advantages. First, it keeps me on tack. The master schedule details all the required and important activities for the month. Once I complete everything for the week, the rest of my time is free time. It’s that easy.

The second advantage of a checklist is that activities become easier to delegate to my staff. I can hand them the checklist and they can complete the tasks required.

It’s incredible how much time this has freed up for me.

0 comments: