Friday, November 16, 2007

Turning Problems into Opportunities

Yesterday, I got the all-to-familiar call from the parent of a student. They were asking to cancel their membership. In the past, this phone caused huge levels of stress for me. Understand that I put a lot of time into each student and feel a personal connection with them and their family.

How did I change my perspective?

Now, I view these phone calls as opportunities. You see, I realize now that in most cases the reason for quitting is more then the student becoming dissatisfied. Most of the time, it’s that their life situation has changed and they are reaching out for help. They are looking for a solution.

By offering them a solution, you not only re-gain a customer but you also increase their loyalty.

Take 3 steps to turning problems into opportunities.

Active listening – Be attentive and completely listen to them. Ask questions that get the customer or student to talk through their problems.
Focus on Solutions – Once you completely listen to the customer, offer solutions that solve the problem.
Resell the benefits – Sometime a customer forgets why they started receiving a service. Ask questions that prompt the customer to talk about the benefits they’ve received so far.

Using these three steps assists bringing the customer back to you. What happened during my call? The student decided to stay. Another touchdown for the home team!

0 comments: