Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Possibly the Best Business/ Career Advice You’ll Ever Receive!

Because some of my freelance writing through e-zines and my blogs, I received several e-mails from people asking for some business advise. The six months ago, I begin really stretching myself way outside my comfort zone personally and professionally. Now some people noticed and asked me for advice.

The main question is “how do I make more money?” I must say I am very jaded in my opinions about this – almost a renegade. Every time I talk about business matters, people tell me that I am crazy. I have heard so many people say that “I can’t do that” or “It won’t work”. Only to find that it does work.

So what is the secret?

Don’t think about making money – think about creating more free time.

Yes, it’s that simple. What most people are looking for is not more money but more time. We think that more money will equate to more freedom and time. Not so!

The problem, you see, is that most people have a 9 to 5 attitude towards making money. To make X amount of money, I need to work X amount of hours. This is far from true. When I worked as a Customer Service Manager, I discovered that people tend to grow into their day. I know that to perform most mission critical activities at work takes about 2 hours and they fill the rest of the day with meaningless activity so that the boss will think you are a good worker.

How to free up more time and make more money

  • Refused to perform useless daily tasks
  • Concentrate on the most important tasks – I can almost guarantee that the tasks you avoid are the important ones. Discipline yourself to do them first… especially if they are money-generating activities.
  • Set time limits to perform the important tasks – jobs seem to grow exponentially according to the time limit set. I prefer setting small time-limits for completion and break large jobs in the small task possible. For example, write a 400 word article in 30 minutes
  • Automate everything – anything that you can put on autopilot, do it today.
  • Turn off your e-mail - E-mail tends to manage your priority instead of you. E-mails stuck you into urgent but unimportant requests. I suggest turning off your e-mail while working on the important tasks.
Freeing up time will not only give you a piece of mind but it will also force you to make more money. I know this works because my business income continued to rise higher as I seem to work less.

Do you think I am crazy?

0 comments: