Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rapport Building - Gaze into my eyes

In business, your success hinges on mastering rapport building skills. One of the best ways to build an instant rapport with someone is through eye contact and a smile. This will lead to a relax and friendly conversation. People will feel an instant connection to you - almost like you are an old friend.

But... most people feel uncomfortable and don't know what the appropriate level of eye contact is.

Well, here's a cool drill that will help.

I love little drills that you can basically practice through the regular course for the day. When you say "hi" or greet someone, just make a mental note the color of their eyes. It's so easy and works like a charm. Recognizing the color of their eyes will give you the exact proper amount of eye contact - about two to three seconds.

I found this work for one-on-one conversations, and also for groups when I teach my classes. You know, most of rapport building happens through non verbal communication. That little eye contact with each of my students during class makes them feel that I am paying attention to them. They also seem to listen better because it makes you more engaging.

At first, you will find yourself thinking the colors of their eyes - blue, brown, hazel, etc. but in time, I will become more natural. Give it a try for a week and see how it goes...

Do you have any good rapport building drills? Please comment below.

The Million Dollar Business Quest

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

0 comments: